Dear friends and family,
I have big news! On Monday night I left ICU and am now on the Neurology ward at the Royal Free, 6 East. My tracheostomy was removed last Friday, and after good progress over the weekend, the ICU team were happy that my breathing was safe, and so here I am.
I took my first trip outside the Hospital grounds on Monday to Queen Square for my neuro-rehabilitation assessment. The trip was a great success. The team want to take me there in two weeks’ time for intensive rehab, and this is much sooner than I had anticipated as I’m still incredibly weak. They can keep me there for up to 6 months as an in-patient, and have been very optimistic about my prognosis in terms of getting me home.
I am just realising, however, that despite getting through the most terrifying 70 days on Intensive Care, and making amazing progress to get to this point, I have a very long way to go. My arms and legs feel like lead, and I can’t lift up my arms or use my hands at all- I feel like a rag doll. They tell me that some of the nerves may take up to a year to regenerate....
I have been starting to do some proper physiotherapy and it’s really opened my eyes to what they do, but how far I’ve got to go. John will probably go back to work once I’m at Queen Square and I will miss him during the day so much, but I realise it’s necessary, and how lucky I’ve been to have him by my side through the illness so far. After 4.30pm during the week and all weekend I’m allowed visitors at Queen Square, and I can’t wait to see everybody.
Lots and lots of love,
Laura
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yay! - that's flippin brilliant news lozzer, well, apart from the rag doll/total joey bit, but the really good thing is that now at least you're out of the hell of ICU and you can see the way to getting properly better. Those physio dudes will knock you into shape in no time im sure. Cant wait to come and see you.
ReplyDeletemassive kiss
Steve et famille xxxx
Dearest Lars,
ReplyDeleteThis is truly wonderful news!! I'm sure that JD and your family must be really pleased.
I'm due back in a few weeks, so I would luv to swing by Queen's Sq to see you. Let me know if this is ok.
There's lots to chat about.................
Lots of luv,
Cus Alex
Hi Laura
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear that you're making such progress. I'm sure it's a really tough struggle, but hopefully helps seeing small changes each day - and getting a good dose of hot chocolate...
Paul & I are still out here in Sydney, with all the relatives visiting, so doing the tourist thing each day (which is exhausting as I'm nearly 7 months pregnant)
Best of luck with your recovery and I'll keep in touch on email - until you get the chance to hook up a landline I can give you a call on?
Love
Alex
Hey Lau's. Not sure if you've moved to Queen Square yet.....should have by now. Must be quite an upheaval leaving the Royal Free after almost 3 months! If so, I suspect they've got you working your little bitty ass off! I've to come to London in the next week to find myself a new set of salopettes, so if you are up for a visit, let me know-I realise you aren't allowed visitors during the day at Boot Camp.
ReplyDeleteIt was fab of you to manage so long at john's party. So amazing.
Haven't heard from either of you in a while, so let us know what's up. I'm full of flu and up to my eyeballs trying to organise various things.....hospital balls, study days, hospital audits, etc etc.
Lots of love honey to both you and big JD.
Han xxx
Hi laura and JD,
ReplyDeletejust to say thinking of you and your big struggle back to fitness. we've been in and out of hospitals recently - explain another time - and can only begin to understand what a tough time you must be having and how brave you are. full of admiration both of us for both of you. so congrats on getting out of the ICU - 70 days plenty long enough anywhere frankly, let alone the royal free tube rooms - so keep working hard and smiling. and that goes for John too...
love Jason and anne-sophie
hey, hi again laura and John, can never work out if my posts are actually being posted so here goes again ...
ReplyDeletejust to say we are both thinking of you both. we've been in and out of hospitals in recent weeks - nothing too serious thankfully - but enough to make us appreciate how brave and strong you both are. so just to say it's great that you are out of the royal free and the ICU and that thinks - tough and long though they might be - are looking up a bit. keep your spirits up and you'll get there eventually!!
lots of love
jason and anne-sophie
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeletegreat to see you and John this weekend...you are looking fab considering everything you've been through. Have only just worked out how to leave a message, being a complete Blog novice ( from now on, to be termed "Blovice"), but got there in the end. Karen and India send their love as well, and would be great to get you guys round as soon as you're up to a trip to deepest darkest Oxfordshire....
love
Frog