Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Second update

Week 8

Dear family and friends,
Thank-you for all for your wonderful e-mails and comments on the blog. They have really kept me going. I wanted to update you on two major events for me this week. The other day, with the help of the speaking valve, on the ventilator, my voice suddenly returned from a whisper to a clear voice. Secondly, my swallowing has returned, meaning that I have been able to enjoy sips of water and, most importantly, nibbles of chocolate! As you can imagine, my life has been relatively transformed by these events.
My arms and legs are still very weak, and I am still requiring the ventilator, so I can see there is still a way to go, but there is now a glimmer of hope on the horizon as things have started to improve. I really wish I could use my hands but will have to wait for that….
Being able to communicate fully with the nurses, doctors and my visitors has changed my world here. The plan is to try and wean me from the ventilator during the daytime, but I am still needing full ventilation at night. I will remain on ICU for the foreseeable future (at least until I don’t require the ventilator).
As soon as I get off ICU I can have more friends to visit which will be fantastic. Until then I’m pretty much stuck here but I’m staying positive, thanks to my wonderful husband, mum, dad and my sister Susannah.
All my love,
Laura

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic news Laura. I'm so glad you're making more progress. Nibbles of chocolate, how wonderful.... how about sips of wine?! or is that not allowed?! hope the move off the ventilator goes smoothly; I remember when Archie came off his ventilator all those years ago, it was probably the most emotional moment of my life as it seemed such a massive achievement.

    Great to hear your update. Looking forward to seeing you when you are out of ICU. Masses of love to you and John. Amanda & Ferg xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laura,
    It's the greatest new of this week!! Many, many chocolates are waiting for you at Marie Lannelongue's Hospital! Best regards and sorry for my bad english.
    Sylvia (labo anapath)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello lovely gir
    Such good news, soooooo pleased. And eating chocolate - marvellous!!
    As Hannah has written - had lovely weekend down in the deepest sussex countryside. and with Simon and Caroline - heard more about their flat in Le Praz - think they are off there today with Cath and John and Mike (does he work?) and Fi - sounds brilliant and they are insisting you go for some recuperation in the mountain air. Anyway back in London again after a few days on r&r by the seaside with the pickle. Went to Hampshire after Brighton, to a lovely old house hotel by the seaside for lots of food, freshair and walking in wellies! Not tooo rainy though -talking of rain, totally agreeing with the no rainy festivals thing!! Not going to Glasto (Honeymoon) but would be so good to have an unrainy wedding and summer!! Maybe that Connect festival in Scotland in Sept....? Think your lovely friend Lucy went before your wedding - think they had champagne and oysters - sounds right up our street!!

    Right- got to go and sort out my soup (dont laugh just made leek and potato soup!!) but of course would be lovely to come up to see you if you fancy it anytime soon/ John needs a drink. Not up to much for the next week or so.

    Oodles of love and hugs
    G xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    Good morning. I have the morning off and my wife Rajita and i were thinking of you. We got back from India after nearly 4 weeks there last saturday. It was a great holiday and it is horrible to be back. The weather is awful and it has started raining too. This morning looks good but cold. My plans for today are to do the shopping and cooking while wifey works. Also, need head to the tip and the cleaning, hoovering and ironing. In between all that i need to get some audit work done and also think of topics to teach the registrars on 18th. There is always the rubbish on tv that i get mesmerized by when i have things to do knowing fully well that it is utter trash. Then i have discovered audio books, cd's or downloadable books. I think they are brilliant and if you have not had a go, i think you should give it a try. Some good websites are BBC, talking store etc. I know you do need a computer and a headset, but i am sure that can be sorted. That is my inspiration for this morning and have to get the chores done as wifey is giving me terrible looks.
    Loads of love,
    Ramesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Lars,
    I'm so pleased to hear about the progress with your speech and your dietary intake! This is really encouraging. I sent JD an email a while back so hopefully you got updated with life in sunny CA. I get a few reports about progress from Ma and Pa, so they are keeping me in the loop as well. Not too much new gossip to report from my end. GOt a vegas trip planned before i come back to blighty. Gonna squeeze in a few w/es of snowboarding in Tahoe before then as well.
    All my love to you, JD and the rest of the family.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey lovely girlie,
    did you get the dragonology book we sent you?! Keep up the chocolate consumption, beautiful lady!
    Big kiss... gotta run as big boss is looming....
    Ems xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura, great news that you're making more progress! Me and Rusty are sending you all of our strength and recovery vibes - can't wait to see you soon. Let us know as soon as we can visit! We're pretty much in hibernation at the moment, so I don't have any interesting news to give you I'm afraid... We'll save up our partying energy for when you are back on the scene!
    lots and lots of love
    Lis xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Laura

    The Prentices here!! We have recently got back from our year in Perth and Karen told us about your illness. We really hope that your recovery is as speedy as possible and that you get to start eating larger chucks of chocolate sooner rather than later. We don't have a number or address for you, so am so glad i found your blog. Matt has just started his 3rd week as a grown up consultant at the RUH in Bath and think he is finding it a bit of a shock after 12 months in Oz. We had a great year, but are happy to be back eventhough it is currently sub zero and snowing. Eva (3.5) & Polly (15m) are loving Bath and so am I. Have even managed to find a babysitter and we are out tonight for our 7th wedding anniversary, Can you believe it? Once you are better it would be so wonderful to see you again and you will always be so welcome in Bath. Won't go on too much, but just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you lots and look forward to your next blog installment.
    Lots of love Sharon, Matt, Eva & Polly xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura,
    As you may have heard we had unprecedented snowfall last night. About 20 cms. So, this morning it was great to get out and well, it felt like a ski resort, something like tignes. White and bright during the day, snow clad trees, the occasional snowman, deserted roads and everyone saying hello to one another. Managed to get the ice off and warm the car and drove to work slowly. It was amazing to see so few cars on the road. There were cars with all the snow on them and the drivers were so lazy that they did not even defrost and so the lights were covered with snow too. Very very dangerous.

    At work all the anaesthetists turned up, as expected. Some surgeons turned up and then the staff were very few. I guess they rely on public transport more. So, we had 4 theatres running from 10. Only half the patients turned up and most were operated. So all in all a good days work.

    Hope you are getting better and feeling warm. What is your favourite chocolate? Hope to see you soon. Love to John as well and your folks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey gorgeous!!
    Just a quick note to say Howdee. John tells me you are doing brilliantly, which, of course, is fab. The snow is gorgeous- San Foire came to you! Getting to work proved extremely tricky, but managed (only 4 hours late!) somehow. Haven't quite got to building a snowman yet, so hoping there's still some left on our garden when i get home from work tonight!
    Coming up to town this weekend for birthday celebrations, so will definitely come up your way, and spoil John to a pint or two.
    Keep your chin up poppet....you're almost there!
    H x

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you can talk again and i wont even make any obvious jokes about it! seriously great news you are finally on the mend, and cant wait to come a see you. I'll bring lots of sip-able treats (and show you little max!) xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete